I can’t believe it’s already day 20! It seems like time flies by so fast. I commuted to San Francisco today to get coffee with a friend, which meant breakfast on the go – 2 egg whites, 1/2c almonds (poured myself too much), 60g chestnuts, and some prepacked veggies.
I caught a glimpse of myself in the full-length bathroom mirror and noticed my legs are looking slimmer! My face is also looking a bit slimmer. It may be wishful thinking, but it seems like I’m losing weight! (My clothes also seem a bit looser, but that doesn’t mean much since I don’t wear tight clothes.)
For lunch, I decided to eat out with my roommate. It was probably a lapse of judgment fueled by lack of sleep (the commute to San Francisco takes 2 hours one way – which comes out of my sleep time), but I made sure to pick a Whole30 safe place. When I started this challenge, I initially planned to not eat out at all – but I changed my mind after reading the “Rules and Recommendations” article on the Whole30 website, which says “A ban on all oils would mean you could never have a business lunch, grab a compliant burger at the airport, or enjoy a date night at your favorite bistro. And that would make the Whole30 plain old impossible for most of you.” So I guess eating out is ok.
I picked an African restaurant that serves meat kabobs and Whole30 friendly sides (plantains, potatoes). I chose to leave off the aioli, which their website warned has dairy. The meal was still delicious!
Afterwards, we took a short walk around Lake Merritt in Oakland. The skies were gloomy, but at least it wasn’t raining!
When I got home that evening, I was slightly hungry. I didn’t plan to eat much, but I started having issues with dry eyes again so I threw in some sweet potato. I wonder if I’m having dry eye (and hair) issues in particular because I’ve struggled with thyroid issues in the past. My mom eats a low carb paleo diet (even stricter than this) and she’s never complained about dry eyes or hair! I haven’t measured, but it also seems that I have to eat at least ~75g of carbs (not counting salad/broccoli) every day to keep the symptoms away. I mean, even for today’s diet, I had 60g chestnuts, 1/2 plantain, and 100g sweet potato – and I was still putting in eye drops at night!
Diet Log Summary
- Breakfast: 2 egg whites, 1/2c almonds, 60g chestnuts, cut vegetables
- Lunch: 2 chicken skewers, steamed veggies, 1/2 plantain
- Dinner: 100g sweet potato with cinnamon, 1c eggplant stirfry, 1 chicken drumstick, chicken broth
Diet Effects Summary
- I’m looking slimmer! I haven’t weighed myself (that’s against the rules – and it would probably just mess up my psyche), but I’m fitting into jeans that I’ve never been able to fit into before. My face and legs also look narrower.
- The dry eye monster is still here. 😦 I’m starting to think I need to eat 50-75g of carbs every day to keep it away. That means more sweet potatoes and starchy veggies like rutabagas and turnips. Luckily, I have tons of frozen turnips to eat before I move to San Francisco! I wonder if it’s worse lately because I cut out fruit (was eating an apple for a snack late at night for a couple days).
- My energy is great! I’m happy to report I haven’t had any insomnia issues on this diet (while they were the focus of keto). My energy is pretty solid. I’m not immune to lack of sleep, but for the most part I don’t get slumps after eating like I used to. The exception is if I eat too much fat in one meal – but as long as I’m mindful of that, I do great.