When I was 16, one of my teachers gave me a postcard that featured Voltaire saying “Happiness is a choice.”
At the time, I thought she was nuts – but now, I’m starting to see her wisdom. I’ve spent the last ~20 years of my life chasing ‘success’ (aka money), only to find it left me miserable. Now, I’m trying to find happiness by embarking on “30 Day Challenges” that force me to reevaluate my life.
In spirit of my teacher’s advice, I chose “30 Days of Gratitude” as my first challenge, where I wrote 5 things I am thankful for every morning. Forcing myself to reflect on the things in my life I should be thankful for has made a huge difference. I am already much happier than I was before because I appreciate the things I once overlooked.
Currently, I’m working on the Whole30 Challenge, where I am tackling my poor relationship with food.
Future 30 day challenges I’m considering:
- 30 Days of Altruism – one ‘random act of kindness’ per day
- 30 Days of Fitness – actually start working out
- 30 Days of Fear – face my social anxiety and other random things I am afraid of (failure?)
- 30 Days of Connection – connect with one person (non-family or coworkers) every day
- 30 Days of Adventure – go someplace new every day
- 30 Day Venture – try to get a (small!) business off the ground